What does reverse surgery of the shoulder do?
Thanks for writing to us,
If you have a torn rotator cuff and shoulder arthritis, then you may have been advised a reverse shoulder replacement. The incision will be the same as the regular shoulder replacement. The major difference between the two types of shoulder replacement is location of the new metal round head. In a total shoulder the artificial round head is positioned on the top of the humerus. In a reverse shoulder replacement the artificial round head is positioned on the side of the glenoid.
As in patient with torn rotator cuff abduction of arm results in impingement of globular head hence globular head is positioned on glenoid on scapula.
Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.
Wishing you good health.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Planning for tubal reversal surgery what is the success rate
- Reverse shoulder replacement exercises
- Mri done what does results suggest do i need surgery
- Does shoulder impingement need surgery
- What do shoulder dimples mean
- What to wear after shoulder surgery
- What does reversible myocardial ischaemia mean
- What is tubal reversal surgery
- Reverse shoulder surgery problems
- What does reversible ischemia mean
- Significant daily mental stress and mild depression due to ongoing...
- Tip of toe is numb and tingly with swelling. Also have bunion on foot....
- Spine MRI shows small central disc protrusion with no associated spinal...
- Have severe back pain. Scan showed ostetis, arthritis, sacroillitis. CRP...
- Did foot surgery. Having pain with elevated D-dimer level. Should I...
- Fractured foot and have intense burning in toes while elevating foot....
- Bad pain in left toe and reduces slightly during day. Suggest a remedy?
- Have buldged disc in spine. Got steroid shots. Knee is popping and...
- Have a bulging disc that causes neck and upper arm pain. Treatment?
- Having knee pain. X-ray showed mild wear and tear and bit of arthritis....