What does renal parenchyma in an ultrasound indicate?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Thu, 4 Oct 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I had an ultra sound that showed a lobular contour of renal parenchyma. What does that mean?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

It can be a normal variant.

Detailed Answer:

Based on the history you have shared, let me clarify that it can be a normal variant and nothing much to be worried about.

Sometimes generally the kidneys outer surface isn't smooth and has indentations towards inside making it look like many lobes joint together to form a single large structure.

It is normal for every kidney during its embryonic development. However, in some individuals, it may persist later in life.

Unless there are no gross abnormalities in renal functions or there is no evidence of any abnormal solid mass like structure inside or if there is no blood loss in urine or any such abnormalities like pain or cysts, it is not to be worried about.

However, a repeat scan after six months can be carried out for follow-up progression.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Saddiq Ulabidin, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee