What does reduced glutathione mean?

Kathy
Kathy Shattler

Dietitian & Nutritionist

Posted on Tue, 7 Feb 2017 in Diet Plans
Question: what is "reduced Glutiathone"?
Answered by Kathy Shattler 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hello and Welcome to HCM

Detailed Answer:

Reduced glutathione is a natural compound made in the body from the amino acids glutamic acid, cysteine, and glycine.

As the body’s major cellular antioxidant, reduced L-glutathione is crucial for scavenging damaging
free radicals. It is also required for the body’s natural immune response and is important in the cellular detoxification of damaging chemicals like smoke, heavy metals, and drug metabolites.

There is reduced glutathione and oxidized glutathione and a balance of the two is desired. It is commonly taken to aide in detoxification. As with all enzymes, it is digested in the acidity of the stomach unless coated enterically.

I have not found much research in favor of its absorbability into the human body when taken orally.

Thank you for the consult and feel free to write back if I can clarify anything else for you. XXXXXXX Shattler, MS,RDN

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee