What does redness on herniated scar area indicate?

Posted on Sat, 13 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Had abdominal surgery 20 years ao for reflux. Have 11 inch scar. It has herniated and now I have a 3 inch bulch in my abdomen. I am told it would need to be repaired by a very skilled surgeon as the mesh in there is 20 years old. I noticed the 11 inch scar is now turning red over the area where the hernia is. Also told a CAT scan shows some of the bowel protruding through the muscle that has split, Can you tell me why the scar over the herniated area which was well heeled is now turning pink/red?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Redness as body's reaction to the internal contents, enlargement if Hernia

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit a specific one.

Read and understood your history.
To recapitulate: Male/68 - reflux Surgery 20 years back - 11 inch scar - out of which 3 inches have bulged due to hernia formation - skin over area turning red - CT shows intestine as content - Wants to know the reason for redness.

You have put in the history so well.
The intestines in the hernia sac make this as a dynamic structure, changing interior of the hernia, and may be occasionally getting subacute intestinal obstruction or so -
The body senses all these changes and must have been getting ready for the protection. This occurs by means of increased blood supply to the skin over the hernia. And this is quite a natural. Hence the appearance is redness.

Another possibility is that there might have been a intestinal obstruction and the oozed fluid might have given to the local reaction causing the redness to the scar.

Yes, it is true that operation be done by an experience surgeon for better results. The surgery may not be that difficult as you have been told.

At the same tine some notes that may help you:
Have good Hemoglobin and serum proteins, particularly the albumin.
Take laxatives if you have constipation.

The operation may not be that difficult, hence do not get swayed by what others say.Be prepared and go ahead. Presence of Intestine indicates that there may be complications and better to get operated at the earliest.

I hope this answer helps you. Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you need to or if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon