What does redness around a skin tag indicate?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: Hello, I have some redness around a birthmark/freckle/skintag (not sure which one it is of the three).

I just woke up with the redness around it this morning, and it became a little bit more red as the morning went on. I think it's a slight bit tender, but may be just me imagining it.
The color of the mole itself is like it always is. To my recollection I have not scratched it.
I saw a dermatologist last year for a whole body exam, and they found nothing of concern. To my knowledge I have no family history of skin cancer.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Seems like a bacterial skin infection Or inflammed acne

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query and I have also reviewed the Image.

This seems like a skin infection Or an inflammed acne rather than anything more sinister, like a malignancy.
The fact that you feel some tenderness in that area suggests that it is likely a bacterial skin infection Or an inflammed acne and moreover the pigmented lesion itself has not changed so there is nothing to worry in terms of a skin cancer. Can you feel a lump or swelling when you try to feel it between your fingers?
The pigmented lesion looks faintly brown and is most likely a freckle however i would have prefered a better quality image than this so as to know the exact nature of pigmented lesion. Also let me know whether this pigmented lesion was flat Or raised?

I suggest you to apply a topical antibacterial e.g 2%mupirocin cream Or 2% fusidic acid cream twice daily.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 22 minutes later
Thank you very much. The pigmented lesion was always slightly raised, and had a faint brown color. (I have more like that on my body and the dermatologist last year was not worried about them at all, though I don't recall what he called them).

The pigmented area did not change now, in size, color or anything, it just became red around it. I can feel a bit of swelling when I feel it with my fingers.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pigmented lesion seem either a compound or intradermal nevus

Detailed Answer:
Hi. Thank you for more information

Freckles are usually flat and not raised.
Since you say that the pigmented lesion was always slightly raised and is faintly brown, it is most likely to be either a compound nevus (usually is lighter brown) or an intradermal nevus (usually faintly brown or skin colored).
You also have a few junctional nevi (dark brown and flat nevi) in this Image.
Since the pigmented lesion in question here, has not changed in its morphology, in anyway, therefore I don't think you should be worried about it.
Tenderness and swelling are indicative that it is most likely either a bacterial skin or an inflammed acne lesion.
Apart from the topical antibiotic I suggested earlier I would also like to start you on an oral antibiotic e.g amoxicillin Or cloxacillin Or cephalexion for a week.
An oral anti-inflammatory e.g ibuprofen would help reduce swelling and relieve pain/ tenderness.