What does rash and high fever indicate?

Posted on Sat, 6 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: my husband (84) has a rash I think it is shingles but he is not in pain or itchy he is running a fever and had had a few stroreach a dr.kes. He is very sleepy I am considering er as we have not been able to reach a dr. thanks
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Does not appear to be shingles.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

1. Viral fever usually presents with rashes. Paracetamol can help in control of fever. Aspirin has reduced effect on fever and wont be beneficial as much as paracetamol.

2. Rashes are not seen in shingles. In shingles, painful vesicles, limited to a region is usually seen. Without presence of vesicles, treatment for shingles is not started.

3. If the fever is not coming into control with paracetamol and he is extremely weak, then you might need to go to ER. Try giving him good amount of water, fruit juice and food. Due to fever he might be weak. If he is unable to take fluids or food, and the fever is not coming into control with paracetamol, then you will need to take him to ER

Control of fever with paracetamol is important.
Also give him nutrition rich food and plenty of fluids.
Rest is necessary for now.

If he is unable to manage any of them, then ER will be essential.

Hope it helps.
Any further queries, here to help again.

Dr. Prakash HM
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist