• question-icon

What does rash after a DTaP vaccination indicate?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello,
My son, age 4 received his DTAP shot on the 21st of XXXXXXX and has had a mild rash since the 22nd. We first thought that it might have been him swimming too much in a chlorinated pool over that weekend. (6/22-6/25) When I got home, I switched out the clothing detergent and any other soap to sensitive skin formulas...still a rash. I am now watching his foods (never had an allergy before) and don't see a culprit, unless he has developed an allergy to an "old" food. The rash is not as "prevalent" as the first onset, but non the less, it is still there and "itchy". It mainly appears on his face, back, neck, and occasionally his leg. It is red with little pale dots like a insect bites tend to look. Benedryl calms them down and helps with irritation.

My question is: are you familiar this the rash described being a side effect of his shot? Or do you think I should keep pursuing other allergies / causes?
Thank you,
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Upload an image of this rash for review!

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed your son's information fully. In itself, it is an allergy but not related to vaccination. Vaccination related allergy will not cause symptoms which come and go. The recurrent nature suggest that there is something in the environment that might explain this. I will encourage you to continue with ongoing search to see if there is something that can be tied to this. In this case, I recommend that you keep a diary of all products and try matching with days symptoms show up for analysis.

Benadryl is good each time rashes set in. Use for 24hours minimum before stopping. If you have images of this rash, also upload for further review and insights.

To upload an image, simply click on the link to upload a file and follow the instructions. If this proves difficult, please send the image by mail to YYYY@YYYY and request that the image should be uploaded to your query.

I do promise to get back to you with more insights and helpful recommendations as soon as the requested information gets here.
Dr. Ivo Ditah