What does raised cortical echogenicity in abdominal ultrasound report indicate?
Needs further work up
Thanks for the query
Loss of Corticomedullary differentiation and cortical echogenicity could be because of hypertension. Looking at your BUN and serum creat values it looks like there might be some reversible factors. This is how you should go about it
1. Stop Tab Losar for now as this can cause acute kidney injury
2. Get a urine routine and a 24 hour urine protein done
3. I want to know the size of your kidneys, please furnish that to me
4. Get a fundoscopy done, usually nephropathy patients first get retinopathy. If retinopathy is present then chronic irreversible kidney damage has set in
5. Follow a low salt and a low protein diet
6. Avoid potassium rich diet like fruits especially orange and banana
I hope I was of help, please get back to me for further queries.
Right kidney: ~7.9 x 3.5 cm
Left kidney: ~8.7 x 3.8 cm
Urine test report indicated '++' for protein.
Can I take Apple regularly since my humoglobin is <12 when tested a fortnight back
Pl advice dos and donts pl. And thanks
Thanks a lot for your kind response. Kindly suggest for the query made in the above follow up question
acute on chronic kidney disease
Thanks for the query
Your kidneys are small in size and there is also proteinuria ( loss of protein in urine) which points towards chronicity. Please follow the instructions given by me carefully from now on. After a week I would like you to re start Losar as it is very good for protein loss and also for the protection of the kidneys. Check your creatinine again after a week and also potassium
You can eat an apple a day. More importantly you will need iron supplements. Please approach your doctor for it
I am sure you will have a lot of doubts, please feel free to clarify them
Thanks a lot for the kind advice. Shall interact after a week for progress.
I am bit confused since in the first part you advised me to
"Stop Tab Losar for now as this can cause acute kidney injury" and subsequently
You mentioned, "......start losar after a week as it is very good for protein loss and also for protection of kidney....". Kindly clarify.
Thanks and regards
Thanks for getting back
You have asked a very good question. Here is why I decided this
1. Losar is a Angio tensin receptor blocker which helps in reducing protein loss and also is reno protective
2. Looking at your creatinine and BUN ratio it looks like you have an acute kidney injury
3. Losar is usually stopped when there is an acute kidney injury and re started at a later date
Thanks a lot.
Further to my earlier information, results of blood test done just a couple of days back, for kidney function test is given below. This is the latest info.
UREA (Urease Glutamate Dehydrogenase) : 82.4 mg/dl (Ref: 15-50)
Serum Creatinine : 2.4 mg/dl. (Ref: 0.7-1.3)
Serum Uric acid : 8.99 mg/dl. (Ref: 3.6-7.7)
Blood Urea Nitrogen : 32.7 mg/dl (ref: 6-23)
Kindly update advice, if you wish to modify. Regret inconvenience
Thanks and regards
Recovering kidney function
Thanks for getting back, it is never an inconvenience.
As you can see your BUN has come down and serum creat is also coming down. Please always repeat serum electrolytes everytime you do an renal function test. No other modification of medicine needs to be done.
Next time get a 24 hours urine protein and creat.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Got my ultrasound report what does it indicate
- Abdominal ultrasound done are the reports normal
- What is efw in pregnancy ultrasound report?
- What are the findings from the ultrasound report
- What does the kidney ultrasound report indicate
- What does the ultrasound report mean
- Gynecology ultrasound done what does the report indicate
- What does my ultrasound indicate
- What does the ultrasound report suggest
- Ultrasound scan what does the report indicate