What does raised GGT level indicate?
What is the possible diagnosis? how can the blood levels be explained? is there a correlation?
withdrawal with malnutrition
I am Dr. Jyothi BL and I would like to answer your query.
I went through the history and the laboratory values. My opinion is as as follows.
1. Looking at raised GGT, and other reduced values - my first probable diagnosis with psychiatric implication would be "alcohol withdrawal syndrome". Associated malnutrition and mild infection can explain the other levels
2. Blood levels can be explained based on malnutrition and moderate biliary damage, and asymptomatic infection.
3. If there is an history of alcohol intake, correlation is possible. Otherwise, medication history is required for possible overdose or interaction. Drug withdrawal should be ruled out importantly.
Hope it helps.
Any further query, happy to help again.
Dr. Jyothi BL
She is taking the following medications:
Valproate 1200 per day
Risperidone 10 mg per day (just started yesterday)
CRP was normal
Would there be any organic caus explaining the picture of psychosis, epilepsy, blood level changes and reoccuring falls? I am thinking of Sklerodermia or progressive supranuclear palsy or similar?
Or is it just a accumulation of epilepsia, cerebelar vascular deficiency and epilepsy that causes psychosis and falls?
Thanks again for your answer.
Rosuvastatin can cause GGT increase
Hi Dr. Ube,
Thanks for your comments.
Going through the medication history, Rosuvastatin is one drug which can cause raised GGT levels in 2% of cases. Recently added risperidone can also cause in few cases.
However, the lab details does not explain the ongoing symptoms.
Falls could be secondary to vascular insufficiency maybe orthostatic hypotension, but I can't further comment due to my subject limitations.
If you require any further clarifications, do ask. If not, rate the answer and close the discussion.
Dr. Jyothi BL
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What does ggt level 75 indicate
- My ggt level has raised
- Raised ggt level and esr
- What is considered a high ggt level
- Can eltroxin raise ggt levels
- Can cipramil raise ggt levels
- Does endone raise ggt levels
- Hemangioma and raised ggt levels
- Can nexium raise ggt level
- What does high ta and ggt levels indicate