What does pus cells in urine indicate?

Dr. Gaurav Nigam

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: my daughter is 2.5 years old. She has 20-30 pus cells in CUE but the culture report shows normal.Why is it so ?
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Nigam 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
pus cells are epithelial cells.

Detailed Answer:

Normally higher pus cells shows UTI. But also you have to correlate clinically.

That is to say does your child have fever? chills? etc.
If no then why did you get it done?
Were there any other reasons?

Also not all organisms can grow in the laboratory. Therefore inspite of UTI sometimes culture is negative.

Also irritations like catheter also can lead to increase number of Pus cells.

See if this helps.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Gaurav Nigam 38 minutes later
actually she had fever a day before and we gave her crocin 3 doses that day(gap of 5 hours) and one dose next day morning the fever has gone down but she complained of pain in the urination area so we consulted the doctor and he advised us CUE and Culture.

Are pus cells side effect of paracetmol in any case ?
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Nigam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
pus cells are not side effect of paracetamol.

Detailed Answer:
greetings,
No Pus cells are generally never a side effect of paracetamol. From what history you given me, She's having problem while urinating.
I think it would be wise to do one urine sample repeat and go for one empirical antibiotic after consulting your treating doctor.
hope this has helped.
thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Gaurav Nigam 16 hours later
we started giving her antibiotic for UTI but she is suffering from constipation from past 2 days.I gave her 5 ml of duphalac yesterday evening and today morning but it did not help.any help ?
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Nigam 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Normal

Detailed Answer:
Greetings,
It perfectly normal if the child has not passed anything since day and a half.Keep giving duphalac (max thrice in a day) and try adding more cereals and roughage in her diet.
Generally antibiotic will it self cause a little loose stool.
Hope this has helped.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju