What does pus cells in urine even after antibiotic treatment indicate?

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Infections
Question: My daughter had an infection in urinary system and we madw a urine analysis and we found the antibiotic and after 10 days we made it again and still there was pus cells ratio of 22-24 what does this mean
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending the question.

This is an excellent question. You have indicated that based on the urinalysis results there appears to be some remaining white blood cells. This is what we often referred to as puss.

it is important to determine if there is any residual infection. Sometimes antibiotics cannot completely eliminate infections. The best way to determine this would be to request a culture. The culture would allow the microbiology laboratory to determine if there is a significant amount of bacteria still present.

Times we can see some residual white blood selectivity even if an infection is completely eradicated. This is why I think the culture might be helpful.

Thanks again for sending the question. I encourage you to follow up with her physician to discuss any additional testing or treatment.

Sincerely,

Dr. G