What does purple or red colored semen indicate?
hematospermia, most cases due to benign causes
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
Blood in the urine is called hematospermia.
In most persons, it has little clinical significance. This means that it is not associated with a severe illness. In some persons it is self limited meaning that it stops with little or no treatment.
The most common causes are related to inflammation/irritation of the seminal vesicles or prostate.
The seminal vesicles are gland in the genital area that form fluid that make up part of the semen.
CAuses--(1)trauma to the prostate
(2)infection of the prostate
(3)benign/non cancerous enlargement of the prostate
(4)cancer of the prostate
(5)cysts of the seminal vesicles
(6)cysts or non cancerous growths of the urethra (tube that runs through the penis
(7)infection of the urethra
(8)severe hypertension is also associated with hematospermia
To find the cause for you, you would need to be seen by your doctor. Physical examination and testing (urine testing- can rule out infection).
Treatment depends on the cause found.
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other question
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is the treatment for ejaculation of red semen
- What could cause ejaculation of red colored semen
- What does blood in semen indicate
- Red color semen after mastrbution
- Red wine color semen
- What is the cause of ejaculating red semen
- What causes red colored semen
- What is the right color and consistency of semen
- What does these semen analysis indicate
- What color is dried up semen
- Can Hydroxyzine be taken for urinary tract and bladder infections?
- What causes black colored stool?
- What causes dizziness in an elderly person post suffering a concussion?
- What does severe atrophy in a MRI report indicate?
- What causes electric shock like sensation in the arms radiating to the...
- Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes and fever in a child
- What does resting heart beat of 52 indicate?
- What causes diarrhea and upper right abdominal pain?
- Is Oxycodone 10/325 different from Oxycodone 114?
- Can Antabuse cause dizziness?