Ask a Urologist   »  

What does purple or red colored semen indicate?

Question
I notice that my semen has blood in it. The semen is the color of dark red or purple.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hematospermia, most cases due to benign causes

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Blood in the urine is called hematospermia.

In most persons, it has little clinical significance. This means that it is not associated with a severe illness. In some persons it is self limited meaning that it stops with little or no treatment.

The most common causes are related to inflammation/irritation of the seminal vesicles or prostate.
The seminal vesicles are gland in the genital area that form fluid that make up part of the semen.

CAuses--(1)trauma to the prostate
(2)infection of the prostate
(3)benign/non cancerous enlargement of the prostate
(4)cancer of the prostate
(5)cysts of the seminal vesicles
(6)cysts or non cancerous growths of the urethra (tube that runs through the penis
(7)infection of the urethra
(8)severe hypertension is also associated with hematospermia

To find the cause for you, you would need to be seen by your doctor. Physical examination and testing (urine testing- can rule out infection).

Treatment depends on the cause found.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other question