What does pulse rate of 104 indicate?

Question
i am 27 years old, have a pulse rate of 104 while laying on the couch. ive had stomach and back trouble for the past 2 months. now i am experiencing dizziness and the high resting pulse. it also feels like my heart is pounding and i have almost passed out a couple times today. i just got off antibiotics for stomach trouble but they havent caused these symptoms, they are new. should i visit the emergency room?
Posted Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Karen Steinberg 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Visit the emergency room

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for using Healthcare Magic. Although your pulse rate isn't horribly high, the association with dizziness and nearly passing out is of concern. I would get it checked at the emergency room. They can do an EKG right away to see if you are having an abnormal rhythm. You could also be dehydrated from your recent stomach trouble and this can make you dizzy and even pass out when you stand up. The heart rate speeds up to compensate for the dehydration. They will also check your blood pressure and pulse. If you are dehydrated, they can give you IV fluids to help clear this up. Hope this answers your query. If you have further questions, I would be happy to answer them.