What does prominent enlargement of the uterus and myometrium replaced with fibroid mean?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: Hi, can you put this recent MRI report for me in layman's terms? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Prominent enlargement of the uterus measuring 13.3 x 9.3 x 15.6. Most of the myometrium is replaced with fibroids. The largest myoma is along the right anterior corpus measuring 11.6 cm. multiple intramural myomas are present. There is a distortion of the endometrium. There is a peduncuulated left body fibroid measuring 32mm.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 minutes later
The MRI report is suggestive of presence of multiple fibroids in the uterus at different locations and of different measurements in the uterine musculature. It is distorting the uterine lining i.e., endometrium and can cause excessive bleeding during periods. Due to these fibroids, the uterus itself is also enlarged.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 21 minutes later
Thank you, follow up question-Is a myometctomy a viable solution in the removal of the fibroids described in the report? I have no history of surgeries, diabetes, heart, gynologocial, muscular problems. I am not under any prescription medication, and am in otherwise good health.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Myomectomy can help in removing the major myomas but the small seedling intramural fibromas are difficult to remove. You can be symptomatically better after myomectomy. But removal of all the myomas cannot be assured.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.