What does presence of prominent bilateral perihilar marking in a toddler suggest?

Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 29 Sep 2015 in Child Health
Question: My toddler son has been diagnosed with Prominent Bilateral Perihilar Markings. What does this mean?
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It needs to be correlated with symptoms and clinical examination

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Welcome to the HCM

Prominent bilateral perihilar markings is only a part of the description of chest x ray and is not a diagnosis. It simply means that on chest x ray the lung fields are not clear on both the sides of midline where lungs vessels and airways start branching.

Prominent bilateral perihilar markings could sometimes indicate presence of edema of fluid. This can be seen in pulmonary edema, in chronic infections like tuberculosis, sarcoidosis and due to childhood allergic disorders like asthma etc. The findings are images and this is usually correlated with clinical symptoms, blood tests and skin tests.

Hope this will be helpful. I would be happy to help you in any further child health related questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar