What does presence of positive CRP in a new born infant?
Elevated CRP usually denotes infection
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day
Being a parent myself, I understand your concern and apprehension.
CRP or C-Reactive protein is a acute phase protein which usually is elevated when there is active infection. Presence of positive CRP in a neonate requires further assessment and evaluation.
I would require additional information for me to be able to assist you further
1. Was it full term or preterm delivery
2. Was it Vaginal delivery or cesarean section
3. If cesarean what was the indication for caesarean section
4. Was the labour prolonged?
5. Did the baby cry immediately after birth? What was apgar score?
6. What was the birth weight?
7. Is baby on breast feeding?
8. Is baby passing urine and stool normally?
9. Is there any respiratory difficulty and what other investigation have been carried out
Majority of information can be collected from case sheet of baby.
Awaiting your response
Dr Deepak XXXXXXX
MBBS, MS, MCh
Consultant Pediatric Surgeon
it's c section but she undergone labor but she lost amniotic fluid as doctor waited for free delivery.
baby cried immediately. She is 3 kgs. She is getting mother feeding.
If other investigation are normal: no worry
Good morning XXXX
Apologies for late reply as was busy in NICU.
Going by your description it appears that indication of Caesarean section was premature rupture of membrane with failure to progress to labour.
Premature rupture of membrane could be the factor for elevated CRP levels in neonate.
If the following criteria are fulfilled there is no cause for concern
1. Baby cried immediately after birth
2. Baby on breast feeding and accepting feeds well
3. Other investigation like Cbc, chest xay, urine examination and blood culture normal
4. No clinical signs of sepsis
5. Birth weight greater than 2.5 kg
6. No distension of abdomen and baby passing stools normally
7. Respiratory rate less than 60 per minute
Going by your description that baby is on breast feeding implies baby is doing well.
Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.
Wishing you a very happy and safe parenthood.