What does presence of occult blood in urine indicate?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi I had a ua two days ago and I have occult blood 2+. And rbc 4-10 in my urine. Should I be concerned ?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to be worried about .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .
Presence of occult blood and 4-10 RBC detected on microscopic examination of urine signify mild UTI especially Cystitis which is very common in females at peri menopausal age .

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Do you have any urinary symptoms like frequency ,burning ,urgency etc suggesting UTI ?

I shall suggest you to get urine culture done to rule out infection .

In the mean while take urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin and Norfloxacin twice daily for a week along with urine alkalizer thrice daily .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 8 minutes later
My lower back hurts slightly but no fever and WBC's are good.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get Ultrasound Scanning done to rule out urinary stone

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

Pain in lower back with few RBC in urine can be due to presence of stone either in kidney or ureter and has to be ruled out by Ultrasound Scanning of abdomen .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 1 minute later
Great thank you...
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do write after doing Ultrasound Scanning

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .
Get ultrasound Scanning done and do write if you need my help and suggestions .I shall be happy to address your concern

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.