What does presence of occasional bacteria with WBC count in urinalysis test mean?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: What does "occasional bacteria" on urinalysis mean? And 5-10 WBC? Is it indicative of an uti?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
explained below

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern.

A full report of your urine analysis is required for a more specific opinion.

From what you are describing, the presence of occasional bacteria with a count of WBC of 5-10 is indicative of a slight urinary tract infection ( UTI ).

Macrobid is a good choice as treatment. It is true that its use is associated with diarrhea. As you are having problems with diarrhea, I suggest to take probiotics orally.

If diarrhea will continue, please discuss further with the doctor who prescribed macrobid and report it as side effect. Antifungal treatment would be prescribed and in case of severe diarrhea, stopping taking macrobid is final solution.

Hope it answered to your queries!
Dr.Albana