What does presence of nabothian cyst on cervix in a USG report indicate?

Dr. Ramadevi Wani

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 1 Oct 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Ultrasound showed a 15mm Nabothian Cyst on Cervix. I have post menopausal bleeding since 8 days. Can't eat more than 3 bites and feel full, all day nauseated, sometimes with vomiting. I'm extremely tired during the day,- maybe because I have test up at least 4 times at night to urinate. Doctor tells me not to worry about this cyst.... My mother died on breast cancer when she was 56, so did my maternal grandmother. My paternal grandmother had bone cancer. My uncle had cancer in the Kidney. My GYN appointment is 2 Weeks.
What's your impression on this?
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
NabotjianNabothian cyst is a normal finding.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to healthcare magic. I am Dr Ramadevi Wani. I will be answering your concerns today.

Nabothian cyst on ultrasound is a normal finding.
Don't worry about it.
Post menopausal bleeding is bleeding that occurs 12 months after your periods have stopped. Since you are just 51 years old, I thought I will clarify this first to make sure the bleeding you have is postmenopausal bleeding. This bleeding is a bit of concern.
Often this bleeding is due to minor causes like:
-Inflammation and thinning of vaginal mucosa ( atrophic vaginitis )
-cervical polyp or endometrial polyp
- thickening of lining of uterus.
But in 1% of cases such bleeding is due to cancer. So it is extremely important that you consult Gynecologist and get a biopsy of endometrial lining done. From your notes it appears that ultrasound showed normal ovaries. This is a good thing.

Endometrial biopsy will help in clarifying the cause of bleeding.
I hope this is helpful. If you have further concerns I will be happy to answer.
Best wishes,
Dr Rama

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Ramadevi Wani 19 minutes later
Yes, I'm post menopausal. I had my last period 4 years ago.
Could this cyst alone make me bleed?
Are the other symptoms I'm having just coincidental?
Or can the nauseated and bloated feeling have something to do with this?
And yes, the ovaries appeared normal.
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nabothian cyst does not cause postmenopausal bleeding.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome back.
The nabothian cyst does not cause this bleeding.

There is a possibility that your other symptoms are related to this post menopausal bleeding.
It could also be due to urinary tract infection or subtle viral infection.
Examination and endometrial biopsy by Gynecologist will clarify things for you.

If you have further queries, do write to me.

Best wishes,
Dr Rama
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj