• question-icon

What does presence of blood in urine indicate?

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi I am a 61 yr old female in excellent health and fitness. Non smoker. For the last 5 days I have increasing amount of blood when urinating. I do have a history of UTI's and know he typical symptoms and don't have the usual symptoms. No pain when urimatimg, no cloudy urine, no fever, feel generally good. I have a littl bit of achiness in my lower abdomin but hardly noticeable. I looked up symptoms and found possible causes including drug reactions. I take very few medicines and some vitamins including multivitamin, cranberry pills, via an d, glucosamine, dream, estrogen
. I am going on a three week trip to Europe on Thursday and am not sure what to do with little time to get to a doctor. I am incline not to worry about it until I return. Suggestion? Is this so,etching that will. Last likely be ok?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hematuria at this age needs to be investigated

Detailed Answer:
hello
Thanks for query .

Based on the facts that you have been passing blood in urine .Though you get repeated episodes of UTI hematuria at the age of 61 needs to get investigated .

I would suggest you to spare some time before you go for your Europe tour to consult Urologist and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis .
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) Endoscopic examination of Bladder (Cystoscopy)

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

In the mean while take antibiotic like Cefixime and Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkalizer thrice daily .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist