What does presence of blood in stool indicate?

Dr. Amit Jain

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 13 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have blood in motion.kindly help
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Visit a Gastroenterologist for evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in HCM. I am a Gastroenterologist.

Blood in motion can be due to many reasons if it has happened just now then it can be dysentry. If it is persisting for long time then it could be infection, hemorrhoids, inflammatory bowel disease etc.

Kindly let me know its details like whether any pain in abdomen or during defecation, is it fresh blood, is it mixed in stools or does it coat the stools, duration of symptoms, any other symptoms, etc.

So I will suggest you to visit a Gastroenterologist for evaluation who may advise for colonoscopy examination to confirm the diagnosis and manage accordingly.

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you . Wish you a good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj