What does presence of bleeding in saliva after tonsil removal indicate?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 7 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello, my 19 years old daughter had the tonsils out last Thursday, yesterday because of small traces of bleeding when she was spitting out saluva the ENT told us to take her to the ER were the ENT performed a cauterzation under anesthesia. What are the chances to bleed again from the same site or any other site? Is the recovery starting from scratch again?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
secondary bleeding - could be due to infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

The bleeding from tonsillar fossa following tonsillectomy is very unusual. If the bleeding is noticed after 5 days following surgery it is known as secondary bleeding, probably due to secondary infection.

Do not worry! With appropriate antibiotics and cauterization of the bleeder, the bleeding will stop and it will not recur.

She may have to take cold liquids for a day and later, switch on to soft diet.

Hope this answers your query; revert back to me if you have any follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj