What does posterior cul de sac mean?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Women's Health
Question: My ultra sound result says there is a moderate anechoic collection within the posterior cul de sac, what does it mean?
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Moderate fluid may be due to PID.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

Cul de sac or pouch of XXXXXXX (POD)is the space in between uterus and rectum in females.It is the lowest area of the peritoneal cavity in women.
Minimal or mild amount of fluid in POD is generally due to ovulation.

But you have moderate amount of fluid in POD.It may be due to PID(pelvic inflammatory disease).You need clinical correlation and further investigations.

Investigations include routine hemogram,Pap smear etc.CT Scan can be done if needed.

Proper treatment depend upon findings

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 4 hours later
Can i go for a swab test?
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes,it should be done.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX
Thanks for writing back

Yes,swab test should be done along with other investigations.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX