Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

What does positive leukocyte esterase indicate?

Apr 2014
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 6481 Questions
I just had a bloodtest and my leukocyte esterase was 1+. However, there were no WBC. I hear elevated leukocyte esterase is a sign of infection. Yet everything else tested out ok. Is there any meaning to the result?
Posted Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should go for urinary nitrite test.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to HCM

Generally positive leukocyte esterase indicates UTI(urinary tract infection).
However,it may also be due to false positive results.
Since there were no WBC,you need clinical correlation and further investigations.
Further, you need urinary nitrite test.
Combination of the leukocyte esterase test and urinary nitrite test is an excellent screening test for the presence of a urinary tract infection (UTI).

When leukocyte esterase test and urinary nitrite test is positive then culture and sensitivity of urine should be done for proper therapy.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor