What does positive leukocyte esterase indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014
Excellent

Radiologist
Question
I just had a bloodtest and my leukocyte esterase was 1+. However, there were no WBC. I hear elevated leukocyte esterase is a sign of infection. Yet everything else tested out ok. Is there any meaning to the result?
Posted Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should go for urinary nitrite test.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

Generally positive leukocyte esterase indicates UTI(urinary tract infection).
However,it may also be due to false positive results.
Since there were no WBC,you need clinical correlation and further investigations.
Further, you need urinary nitrite test.
Combination of the leukocyte esterase test and urinary nitrite test is an excellent screening test for the presence of a urinary tract infection (UTI).

When leukocyte esterase test and urinary nitrite test is positive then culture and sensitivity of urine should be done for proper therapy.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX