What does positive fecal lactoferrin mean?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: what does positive for fecal lactoferrin mean
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible inflammation of bowels...

Detailed Answer:

Fecal lactoferrin is a specific marker to differentiate inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Often, these two pathologies have the same clinical symptoms.

Lactoferrin is a crucial component of anti-inflammatory cells (called polymorphonuclear neutrophils). Thus, its presence is indicating inflammation of bowel, and confirming IBD.

Hope it answered to your question!
Dr.Albana
If anything unclear, do not hesitate to contact me back!
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
had had a bunch blood work done that day why would my dr call me up and say that my test was good I only know about this cause I ask for the test reports and what test do they have to to find out what exactly what I have thanks
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need to have your lab reports&clinical symptoms...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

The presence of lactoferrin is indicating inflammation of your bowel. If your blood work testing resulted normal, then, nothing to worry about.

I need to have your:
- lab reports
- clinical symptoms

before determining whether inflammation is present and what to do next. Although lactoferritin might be present in the feces, I need to know the reference range of the lab and other medical background of yours for final diagnosis.

Generally, if IBD is suspected, colonoscopy and stool culture are highly recommended for further evaluation.

Looking forward to have the requested data in!
Dr.Albana
did stool sample that is the labs I have my wbc is 7.9 and my ers is 38 or esr could you tell me that is bad I have acalashia and gastrparelitis lazy stomach
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Associated IBD or IBS....

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Your wbc are within the normal range, while your ERS is elevated which is reflecting a source of inflammation (not infection) in your body.

IBS are present in patients with achalasia. As your ERS is elevated, I suspect IBD; therefore, should have the level of lactoferrin and advise to run:
- colonoscopy
- stool culture

for further evaluation, especially if you are having other gastro-intestinal complaints.

Hope it helped!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 9 hours later
my wbc keeps going up and I do have hip infection from hip replacement so it was 5.0 now 7.9 going up or down that still mean infection
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
No...

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Then, this explains your tests results.

WBC are within normal range. It is normal to get them going up and down within the normal level according to production in the bone medullla.

I find them within normal range. If they would be higher than upper limit, could discuss for the infection problems.

From what you are describing, I think you are controlling well the hip infection as long as there is no increase in WBC above the upper limit. In other words, your WBC is not indicating infection.

All the best!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 3 hours later
1 more question I was told that is high normal what does that mean for wbc and in fecal found wbc in that what does that mean
Brief Answer:
Following answers...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Usually, the WBC (as for other blood cells) do have their normal count range. During a lab test, the findings of WBC can vary within the normal range (up and down). Your variation is within 5 to 7.5, which is perfectly normal.

The presence of WBC in the feces (fecal WBC) is indicating bowel infection. However, there is also a range for the WBC in the feces (which varies from one lab to another). You can send the stool test report to me, so, I can analyze it further and refer whether the presence of WBC in your feces is normal or not.

Hope it answered to your queries!
Dr.Albana