What does poly hydromonios 32 weeks and AFI of 26 suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
Hi my wife is 32yrs and this is her first pregnancy and she was detected as minimal to moderate hydromonios in her 26 27weeks.Now yesterday 16th July'14 we went for color dopler test and the scan shows poly hydromonios 32 weeks..liquor is increased with an AFI 26cms. S/D ratio is 3.9..MCA/UMBLICAL ARTERY S/D RATIO 1.6...her blood sugar is normal 85 fasting. Please help and suggest
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
UPLOAD LATEST SCAN REPORT.

Detailed Answer:

Kindly, upload or attach latest scan report to assist you better and give proper guideline according to query.

Waiting for your response and reports.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: What does poly hydromonios 32 weeks and AFI of 26 suggest? 28 minutes later
Have uploaded the latest scan reports please help

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
NOTHING TO WORRY MUCH. DO PERIODIC CHECK UP.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) I have reviewed attached reports and it indicates MILD POLYHYDRAMNIOS at AFI 26. Her blood glucose level (fasting) is within NORMAL limit and Gestational Diabetes (GDM) is possibly ruled out.

2) If her previous anomaly scan report and TRIPLE/ QUADRUPLE test was within normal limit, then she has nothing to worry much. It may be physiological at this stage if underlying causes are NOT found.

3) Mild Polyhydramnios (or asymptomatic) is treated conservatively with periodic monitoring and no major intervention is generally taken to reduce volume.

4) Decent diastolic flow (umbilical artery) with S/D ratio 3.9 is NOT troublesome. She needs to undergo PERIODIC check up and assessment of blood pressure.

COMPLICATION: It may be associated with preterm labor. Some other maternal complications are premature rupture of membranes (PROM), abruptio placenta, malpresentation, cord prolapse, Postpartum Hemorrhage (PPH) etc.

MODE OF DELIVERY: There is a higher incidence of Caesarean section in such case. Elective C-section is preferable to reduce associated complication.

In the mean time, she would limit salt and water intake. Take adequate bed rest in the left lateral position and do periodic check up to her doctor for complete assessment of pregnancy & well being of the baby.

Hope, this information is quite helpful to you. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

Wish her good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326

Follow-up: What does poly hydromonios 32 weeks and AFI of 26 suggest? 2 days later
Dr. Yesterday 19th we went for repeat color doppler test and the reports of the same I uploaded please check. Moreover she is presently on following medicines: thyroxin 88, iron and calcium all once a day and now doctor have advised oral progestone SR 300 mg once a day. Blood pressure remains 100/70. Please suggest the precautions and expected date of delivery. Thanks

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query. Followings are my comments:

1) Recent Color Doppler Test is absolutely NORMAL and you have nothing to worry much. Ultrasound scan reveals Mild Polyhydramnios with REDUCED AFI 22 cm from earlier scan (Normal AFI 8-18 cm).

2) She would take prescribed medications, limit SALT and WATER intake, take adequate bed rest in the left lateral position, walk for 1/2 hr daily, do periodic BP check up and contact with her doctor if there is any problem.

3) Expected date of delivery is already mentioned in ultrasound scan i.e 8th September. She is now 32 weeks plus pregnant and delivery of the baby should be after 37th completed week (NOT BEFORE THAT). Elective C-section is MOST preferable in this case. Your doctor will decide date of delivery after clinical and pelvic assessment.

Hope, I have answered your query. Kindly, close the discussion.

All the best and good luck.

Dr Soumen