What does persistent stomach bloating and rumbling indicate?

Posted on Sat, 6 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: having constant stomach bloating and rumblings whether i eat or not. The doctor given me medication for gas and i take constantly tums for bloating. I have a constant pain zin my left side that they have looked at with MRI, CAT scan even ultra sound 4 times and still dont know where pain comes from... But the stomach distress i believe is coming from not proper digestion....I believe it is not having enough enzymes in stomach to properly break down the food. The doctor made mention fhaving Parkinson would slow that down..So i wanted your thought on that. Of buying some natural enzyme helper for digestion. the pain in left side i believe is from bulging disc in back radiating to side... they will be giving me a steroid shot for that..
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I need some more information

Detailed Answer:

you haven't mentioned a very important test for the stomach which is the upper gastrointestinal endoscopy. Have you done this test? If you've done it and no obvious cause of your symptoms was revealed then your indigestion is most likely functional.

Parkinson's disease may indeed slow down your intestines and even cause constipation. Treatment for Parkinson's disease may also cause stomach distress. This could be a potential cause particularly if your symptoms started soon after initiating treatment with carbidopa/levodopa.

Since all the test are negative and if you've had a negative endoscopy and gall bladder ultrasound scan as well then perhaps treatment with a proton pump inhibitor might be beneficial. Tums reduces gastric acidity but it's not as potent as the proton pump inhibitor. If your doctor believes that your stomach empties very slowly (gastroparesis) then there are also drug choices for that. Avoiding fatty food also helps.

I hope I've helped!
You can contact again, if you have more questions.

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis