What does persistent pain in the muscles and joints throughout the body indicate?
Different possible causes, need to be seen
You must be in a lot of discomfort and I'm sorry about that, I agree that you should see a rheumatologist.
The burning sensations are in keeping with the abnormal function of the nerves and this is called neuropathy. Neuropathy can be permanent or temporary and there are different causes.
Rheumatological conditions such as lupus or RA or sjogren's can all affect both the joints/muscles and also be associated with neuropathy as well.
Blood tests and imaging are needed eg complete blood count, ESR (this checks for inflammation in the body). There are also blood tests specifically for some rheumatological diseases as well as specific criteria that need to be met.
X rays, especially of the back and hips, may also be suggested.
There are medications that can reduce the burning/neuropathy eg amitriptyline, tegretol, lyrica, gabapentin-- these are some of the meds used for neuropathy though they also have other uses as well.
Your doctor may suggest one of these.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Best to see a rheumatologist
It would be best to see a rheumatologist if possible.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Michelle Gibson James, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Painful lymph nodes throughout body
- Suggest treatment for joint pain in body
- Sudden onset muscle pain throughout body
- Sudden onset pain throughout body
- Body muscle pain and weakness
- What causes joint and muscle pain in body
- What are the causes of body pain
- What causes persistent body pain
- Pain in body joints after chickengunia
- Muscle pain all over the body what is wrong
- Can Hydroxyzine be taken for urinary tract and bladder infections?
- What causes black colored stool?
- What causes dizziness in an elderly person post suffering a concussion?
- What does severe atrophy in a MRI report indicate?
- What causes electric shock like sensation in the arms radiating to the...
- Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes and fever in a child
- What does resting heart beat of 52 indicate?
- What causes diarrhea and upper right abdominal pain?
- Is Oxycodone 10/325 different from Oxycodone 114?
- Can Antabuse cause dizziness?