What does persistent cold feet indicate?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 2 Jun 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Starting about 2 weeks ago, both feet are very painfully cold. I have to put heating pad on them for over half hour just to begin to get relief. No tingling or pain otherwise. The cold often lasts for hours or all day. No swelling or change in color. Not painful to touch. To my knowledge no diabetes. What is going on?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be vascular insufficiency.

Detailed Answer:
Feeling of cold feet with normal oxygen saturation ( no color change) can be suggestive of a vascular insufficiency in the legs or a neurological deficit due to chronic problems like Diabetes or hypothyroidism or due to functional disorder of the nerves or vitamin B 12 deficiencies.

You need a careful assessment by your physician along with investigations like color Doppler study for leg blood vessels for proper diagnosis and further treatment.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 minutes later
is this urgent? I was thinking see a doc in few weeks if not better. should I move that up and an appointment this week? or even sooner?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Start with methylcobalamin supplements.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You can wait for 1-2 weeks to see a doctor. In the meantime do start with methylcobalamin supplements and see if it helps.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.