Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

What does partial compression L1 vertebral body seen as reduction in height with anterior wedging means?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 726 Questions
Impression: Partial compression L1 vertebral body seen as reduction in height with anterior wedging
: Posterior shifting of upper end of L1 vertebral body is causing indentation of the thecal sac at D12-L1 without obliteration of CSF space anterior to the cord
Posted Mon, 8 Oct 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query
I have read you mail in detail and it seems that you have under gone any trauma either recent or old. That's why there is reduction in height or compression of the vertebra. Report says that you have injured you L1 vertebra, and due to that it is shifted slightly but as it is not interfering with CSF space nothing serious is there but lot depends on the symptoms. As the treatment and preventive measures depends on the nature of injury. I want to know some history to tell you about the treatment or precautions to be followed.
1. What are the present symptoms and time duration?
2. Duration of Injury (if present)?
3. Any numbness or disability?
If your symptoms are fresh than you need complete bed rest for 3-4 weeks with conservative treatment like analgesic, anti-inflammatory drugs and calcium supplements.
If symptoms are chronic, than you needs conservative treatment with Lumbosacral belt while walking, driving and standing.
Some other precautions are also to be followed in both the cases.
Please give the some detail history so that I am able to give you clear and detailed answer.
Hope you will reply soon.
Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What does partial compression L1 vertebral body seen as reduction in height with anterior wedging means? 13 hours later
I got a car accident five years ago. i did not see special doctor and had not any good x-ray. i used to feel lot of pain whenever my periods closes and after. December 2010 i had delivered a baby and during my pregnancy, I had no problem and seldom felt pain .four month after maternity , i felt pain on my back, thigh and all over legs.please what treat could you suggest and what procedures. any good medications that would help me.Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 54 minutes later
Hello and thanks again for follow up query. The detailed history was really helpful.

As you had old trauma and pain is radiating to thigh and leg, you have to follow some instructions:

1. Use hard bed to sleep, avoid pillow as and when possible. A thin pillow can be used instead of large ones if needed.
2. Your sitting posture should be straight and have to be changed every half hourly.
3. Avoid jerky movements of back. Avoid riding bicycle or motorcycle as much as you can.
4. You can take analgesics and anti-inflammatory drugs orally or can apply gel locally to reduce pain. Hot fermentation can help.
5. Wear Lumbosacral belt while standing, walking, and driving and if symptoms are worse.
6. Do regular physiotherapy and exercise as advised by your physiotherapist.
7. Don't lift or even try to lift heavy weights.

A surgery can be planned at a later date if things worsen. However it is always advisable to look at all conservative treatment which includes course of prescription analgesics, different forms of physiotherapy / alternate medicine treatment and epidural steroid.

The treatment is best planned under the guidance of a spine surgeon. So feel free to consult one whenever feasible. I can be able to assure that you can have a pain free better spine, if you follow all instructions and take care of your spine.

Hope you got answer to all your queries. You rating and comments will be appreciated. I will be happy to answer your other queries.

Best wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor