What does pain in the chest, throat and arms indicate despite negative EKG and MRI results?

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 12 Sep 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Any insight to this condition I have been experiencing for 3+ weeks? Pain in upper chest into lower throat and down both arms. It is episodic, sometimes with dizziness. This happens most frequently after getting up from a reclined position (reading chair or bed), in a few minutes. This lasts from 2-8 minutes and recedes. I have had an EKG, stress test, MRI of brain and spine (no contrast) and a CT of upper chest and arms(shoulders) with contrast, a chiropractic evaluation ... showing no particular problems. My bp is a bit high and sporadic ( taking Carditone daily). I am a week into trying Prilosec but no change . Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:

The possibility of Angina has been ruled out

Detailed Answer:

After going through your medical details, I would like to inform you that as all your basic cardiac tests came out to be alright so the possibility of Angina has been ruled out which is a good thing.

You seem to have symptoms of Orthostatic Hypotension in which you feel dizziness or fainting when changing position from lying to standing and it can last from seconds to minutes then subsides.

It's advisable to do little warm up by Stretching your feet forward and backwards before getting up and keep your self-hydrated to avoid symptoms.

Regular bp monitoring is required at for a week to understand your Bp variations and if it's staying high then to initiate proper medical treatment.

Carditone is basically a herbal product with no clinically proven studies of its efficacy of bp control and Prilosec is an anti acidity medication.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Bhanu Partap, Cardiologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng