What does pain in knee after exercising indicate?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: HI, I STARTED IN GYM ABOUT 3 MONTHS AGO, AND SINCE A WEEK AGO MY KNEES ARE HURTING AND MAKING A SOUND, LIKE CRUSHING EGGS, I DONT WANT TO STOP THE GYM CLASSES, CAN I KEEP DOING EXERCISE OR SHOULD I STOP?

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are developing Cartilage softening

Detailed Answer:
hello,
I have studied your case. You are having chondromalacia of knee cap. This is common in patients who do knee exercises in wrong way. This causes cartilage softening and pain and swelling in knee joint. I would recommend you to follow these steps.
1.Avoid any exercises in which knee bending is beyond 90 degree, for example cross trainer, cycling, squat and running on inclined treadmill.
2. start static quadriceps exercises.
3. Take Dicerin 100 mg daily with chondritin sulphate and Glycosamine.
4. hot water fomentation and Volitran ointment will also be effective.
I hope these steps will improve your pain. as far as sound is concern it will going to stay for three to four months but it is not. disease and it can be present in normal joint also , so you should not be worried about that. Let me know if there is any other follow up questions.
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 16 minutes later
So, is better the hot fomentation than cold ?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hot fomentation is better

Detailed Answer:
Hot fomentation is better then cold for such pain. You can apply warm water during shower or you can also apply moist cloth. Water should be just gentle warm.
thanks
Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement