Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
137 Doctors are Online

What does pain below the rib cage indicate?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5770 Questions
just below my rib cage mild pain as two weeks passed by increased and for a day now sharp pain for a second
about every 5 minutes. also have one small and one larger bulged visible on my skin near by. my doctor orderd a blood test which was negative and a CT that i did not do.
any idea what my problem could be and what should i do next? XXXXXXX budahazy
Mon, 23 Apr 2018 in Lump
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please give more details.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Can you please give some more details like: where is exactly the pain located( is it right or left abdomen), do you have any nausea, vomiting; is the pain associated with foods intake; do you have any diarrhea or constipation?

In general, such symptoms can be from stomach ulcer, gallstones, aortic aneurysm and many more. For sure you should have at least abdominal ultrasound (or CT). Without it, any other step is impossible. If stomach issue is suspected, gastroscopy should be also done.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a General Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor