What does overgrowth of commensal microflora mean?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 14 Dec 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: What is overgrowth of commensal flora, please?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:

This depends on what part of the body the culture you are talking about is from. Commensal flora are bacteria or other microorganisms that normally don't cause problems and are kept in check by other microorganisms or immune system.

Does this help?
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 hours later
If this is from a PAP test, what does this indicate?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
The vagina has a number of microorganisms that normally live in it without causing problems. In particular, lactobacillus is "good bacteria", and is common in large numbers and keeps the acidity of the vagina in a range that discourages yeast overgrowth. If you are having an abnormal discharge, it can mean that yeast, or gardnarella, which are present but normally kept in check, by the good bacteria, can overgrow. So if you have any symptoms, you can ask your doctor to check for yeast or bacterial vaginosis (from gardnarella overgrowth) and if these are present on culture, then they can be treated.