Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
177 Doctors are Online

What does one do if their child has swallowed a battery ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
My 10 month old put a battery in her mouth 4 hours ago. She went to bed fine but woke up screaming and now I need to worry? She went back to sleep now but not sure what I should do!
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

As long as the battery was not leaking any content such as acid material there should be no problem. Sometimes a battery could lead to a small electric shock type reaction if put in the mouth. Beyond this there is usually no need for concern unless someone swallows the battery.

I don't think coughing was related to the battery in the mouth either. This was likely a coincidental symptom.

Let me reassure you that you should not have anything to worry about at this time. Continue to observe her and she should be fine.

Thanks again for the query. I hope my answer was reassuring, informative and helpful. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.


Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor