question-icon

What Does Numbness Indicate In The Finger After Pinching It In A Machine?

Posted on Thu, 26 Oct 2017
Question: I pinched my finger in a machine at work thursday. There is no discoloration or bruising on the finger at all but no feeling in the finger either
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Neuropraxia.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
Noted the history and understood your concerns.
Pinching of the finger in a machine can cause nerve injury called as neuropraxia which may be temporary or permanent depending upon the pressure or shearing force.
Since the incidence occurred on Thursday without any discoloration or bruising, the chances are that neuropraxia may be permanent.
Please consult your Doctor to have an actual test for the cold, warmth, pin-prick, pressure and such tests that will give you the diagnosis and possible prognosis and management.
I hope this answers your query.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon