What does numbness in thumb post colectomy surgery indicate?

Dr. Ralph Chambers

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I had a colsectomy 3years ago since then my right thigh feels numb and at times it goes numb right down to my foot which goes floppy
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hello. This is caused by a compressed nerve

Detailed Answer:
Hello. This wouldn't have been caused by the surgery itself but you may have had a nerve pinch while you were on the operating room table.

But your symptoms now indicate a nerve root compression in your lower back and if I were your doctor I would get an MRI of your lumbar spine and nerve conduction studies to check for a ruptured disc.

Physical therapy and epidural injections would be the first move for this and then, if that wasn't effective, surgery would be considered.

Please let me know if you need any more information
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T