What does numbness in fingers of left hand indicate?

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: i am so happy i found this site and every single answer is greatly appreciated. i am a 30 year old male who started to feel numbnes in my left hand finger next to my thumb about 2 years ago i thought it was just normal and thought it was a pinched nerve from working out. and then all of my fingers became numb expect my pinki. thats when a realised that i had to go to a doctor. i went with a doctor and the doctor said to go see a neurologist. the neurologist said it was carpal tunnel syndrome he then prescribed me oxcarbazepine wich i was taking one pill of 150 mil, it was for about 3 days after that i started to feel twitches all over my body including my head. back, sholder, wrist, hands, feet, head, neck everywere. but mostly in my legs. i panicked and went back to my regular doctor and he to stop taking those med because in the long wrong it will cause more damage. i am freaking out becuase the twiches started when i was 18 years old but i just thought that it was stress since i had a panick attack at that age. i am so scared of being als freacking out and feel like the end of my life is coming to an end very shortly. i feel like this thing is attaking my body so fast.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please undergo neurological examination.Nerve conduction studies.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.

I appreciate the way you have provided your detailed medical history.With this clinical scenario,I would suggest you to visit a neurologist and undergo a meticulous neurological examination.Though,I am not denying the possibility of carpal tunnel syndrome,but in background of widespread fasciculations(twitches) I would like you to discuss with your neurologist about getting Nerve conduction studies(NCS) and Electromyography(EMG) done to rule out the possibility of a severe disease- Motor neuron disease.This evaluation is needed to rule out this serious condition,however not underestimating the fact,that the cause of diffuse fasciculations most commonly is 'Benign fasciculation syndrome(BFS)'.

Besides,a dedicated neurological examination is the most important diagnostic tool in this scenario.
I don't know why your regular doctor asked you to stop oxcarbazepine and what damage in the 'long term' is he talking about.There is no such major adverse effect associated.Although,Carpal tunnel syndrome can be treated with some other alternative drugs.

Additionally,Nerve conduction studies will also confirm whether it actually is Carpal tunnel syndrome or not.So,this investigation will definitely be of help.

Please follow up with the investigations as advised.

Hope that I have answered your query for now.If you have some follow-up questions,I shall be glad to answer else please close the thread,rate it and write a review as your rating will be of help to me.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist