What does normal uterine cavity with partial fill right tube, but no spill and the left tube fill mean?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Infertility Problem
Question: Hi there, I had my HSG test back in November. The HSG showed a normal uterine cavity with partial fill in the right tube, but no spill and the left tube showed fill, distal left sided hydrosalpinx with partial spill. What are those mean? My next appointment with the consultancy will be another 2 months and I am very keen to learn the meaning of my HSG test result. Does it means that I will not have a chance to get pragnant? Or the only way out is to cut/drain Hydrosalpinx and then go for IVF? I heard about Chinese Medicine called Fuyan Pill, does this pill work? I'm 37 yrs old now and very worried and can't really effort the IVF treatment. Please clarify my queries. Looking forward to your advices.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 23 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, I am explaining the report.

The report indicates that there is total blockage in the right fallopian tube. This blockage may occur due to chronic inflammation, present in cases of pelvic inflammatory disease or idiopathic. In the left tube, there is partial blockage due to presence of fluid within the wall of fallopian tube (hydrosalpinx).

Now, what is the importance of this block? In a normal woman, a patent fallopian tube is necessary for pregnancy. Because, it provides the place for fertilization and transport the fertilized ovum in uterus for anchoring.

So, in case of blocked tube, the above things cannot happen which interferes with the pregnancy.

But, it does not mean that you will not have a chance of pregnancy normally. Now-a-days, there are many options to inflate the tube and to create patent tube required for pregnancy. Removal of hydrosalpinx is one of the options available. So, stop worrying. IVF is the last option. Because, if you have a patent tube then pregnancy can happen naturally. It is not impossible that you may not need anything except the recreation of the patency of the tube.

Regarding the Chinese pill, why will you experiment with yourself when you have options.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.