What does "normal size coarse echotexture" in a liver ultrasound mean?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: My lever ultrasound shows normal size coarse echotexture. No evidence of any focal hepatic lesion. The hepatic and portal veins are normal. No intrahepatic billary dilation. Gallblader is partially distended. The CBD is not dilated. The pancreas shows normal lobulations. There is no calcification or duct dilation. The spleen is normal in size. There is no focal lesion. The splenic vein is normal. Both kidneys are normal in shape and echo texture. There is no evidence of hydronephrosis, cortical scarring and calculus in either kidneys.
There is no ascities or adenopathy.
I am diabetic. My SGPT is 44.8 and SGOT is 39.6. Platelet Count is 1.47
Doctor has prescribed Ciplar LA 40 (one each day) and a multivitamin mega rich (one each day).

Can you please tell me about status of my lever. Will it be OK. I was occasional drinker which now completely stopped.
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need lipid profile and complete LFT.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

I have gone through your reports and query in detail.
Coarse echotexture of liver may be due to mild fatty changes.However,coarse echotexture is found in many other conditions.
Normally liver is homogeneous in echo texture.
Your SGPT and SGOT are within normal limit,but you need few more investigations.
Investigations include routine hemogram,Random blood sugar,Lipid profile,complete liver function test,urine RE/ME.

If lipid profile and other LFT (liver function test)parameters like bilirubin etc are normal then there is nothing to be worried.

Rest of the findings like gall bladder,pancreas,spleen,kidneys are normal.

It is good that you have stopped taking alcohol.

You should take your prescribed medicines regularly.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX