What does night time itching on the body suggest?

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: As I am falling asleep at night I have terrible itchyness that can arise on any part of the skin, perhaps most often in the groin area, but also on the scalp, back, chest, shoulders, legs, etc, so much so that it becomes very difficult to sleep. The skin itself, however, when it itches, shows no visible sign of anything the matter. I am 25 year old, make. It has been pretty hot and humid.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
A few questions and a few suggestions

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Two factors that seem to hold relevance in your query are that you suffer from generalized itching and the second being that the itching is nocturnal.

I have a few questions for you sir, if you would be so kind as to respond to them, it will help me to help you better, thanks.

+Do you drink alcohol? If yes, how often?
+Have you suffered from any abdominal pain lately? Mainly around the right side of your abdomen?
+Have you suffered from any stomach infections lately?
+Do you notice any discoloration of your eyes, skin, nail beds?
+Do you have any seasonal allergies?
+Exposure to any new sheets, conditioner, detergent, accessories, etc; more so used at night than during the day?
+Are you diabetic or do you have a family history of diabetes?
+Are you sexually active? Have you had recent sexual contact?
+What would you say is your level of hydration on a scale of 0 to 5? 0 being absolutely nothing and 5 being excellent? How many liters of water do you drink a day?

In the meantime, please try to follow these suggestions that may help for now;

+Drink plenty of water (3 liters or more)
+Use a mild soap for bath in
+Use plenty of moisturizing cream on your entire body
+Change your inner wear regularly
+Use a cooling talcum powder
+Switch to cotton clothing
+Use a humidifier
+Shower in cold or warm water, not hot water

I look forward to hearing from you in order to help you further.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 5 hours later
Dear Dr.
My line by line response to your questions.
In fact, it so happens that the days.evening before I have had terrible itching at night I have had much more to drink than usual; (not an especially great deal, but a lot compared to what I am used to. I+Have you suffered from any abdominal pain lately?
I had a bit of mild pain in the lower stomach which, however, quickly went away when I massaged it.
Mainly around the right side of your abdomen?
Not markedly.
+Have you suffered from any stomach infections lately? No +Do you notice any discoloration of your eyes, skin, nail beds?
On the skin, only from itching, but not, it appears, very markedly from the itch itself
+Do you have any seasonal allergies?
Not that I know of, though my astma has known to be worse in the springtime. +Exposure to any new sheets, conditioner, detergent, accessories, etc; more so used at night than during the day?
I have changed by seats since and it has had not effect.+Are you diabetic or do you have a family history of diabetes? I am not diabetic. My aunt developped the disease later in life, but know one else in my family.
Not with anyone else. +What would you say is your level of hydration on a scale of 0 to 5?
When I try to fall asleep, and can't becuase of all the itching, I am also very thirsty, so I probably am not drinking enough water, though drinking more dos'nt seem to help me go to sleep.
...0 being absolutely nothing and 5 being excellent?
Perhaps 2.
How many liters of water do you drink a day? Not sure: A good deal of liquid but much of it tea, and coffee.
Brief Answer:
A few observations from your response sir

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again sir.

Thank you so much for your detailed response, it really helps.

1. If you observe alcohol to have an association with the itch, then we should get your liver enzymes checked to make sure the itching is not because of a sick liver, which is one of the most common causes for a generalised itch

2. Get your blood glucose profile conducted to make sure the thirst and the nocturnal itch is not because of diabetes

3. Please increase your fluid intake as your thirst at night, if it is not associated with diabetes indicates insufficient hydration, possibly due to the heat

4. While at the doctors, please also observe any rashes and a blood profile along with a test called ANA

I hope you can fix yourself a doctors appointment, as it is mandatory at this point. Please do not hesitate to write back to me for any further clarifications or discussions, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan