What does negative HIV DNA PCR test post unprotected sex indicate?

Question
Dear Doctor, I had unprotected vaginal and oral sex in Spain with a masseuse on the morning of the 15th July (I was with her for about 2 hours and the masseuse has assured me that her sexual health is good). I have been extremely worried that I may have got HIV or another infection and have had a multiplex HIV-HBV-HCV PCR test carried out. The blood samples for this test were taken on the afternoon of the 24th July. The results have come back HBV PCR Not Detected, HCV PCR Not Detected and HIV 1/2 PCR Not Detected. I have read that the multiplex test is over 99% reliable 7+ days after exposure. Do you think that I need to take any further tests or can I rely on the test that I have had done as conclusive that I do not have HIV? At the same time as the multiplex test I had tests done for Syphilis, Gonorrhoea and C. trachomatis and these results were also negative. I would mention that I have no symptoms. Thank you for your help.
Posted Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
HIV unlikely, Can repeat test after 3 weeks.

Detailed Answer:

First thing is that the partner did not have any STD's and was clear of HIV according to her.
You have no symptoms.

The other STD's (Gonorrhoea, chlamydia, syphilis) are all negative and usually would have manifested by now and also she did not have any active infection. So you can allay fears about these infections.

The chances of transmission of HIV by sexual route is 1/ 200 to 1/2000 even if the partner is HIV infected. So again chances are rare.

PCR has come negative. It is good. Though PCR detects HIV as early as 13 - 28 days of exposure. The test done is early in your case but as the partner is negative you can allay fears.

You can repeat the test if in doubt and you develop any symptoms after 3 weeks from now to allay the fears.

If no symptoms or/and is negative again you can still go for HIV tests later than 6 months to be fully sure for negativity.

You can allay fears for now as you are asymptomatic and tests are negative.

You can get back to me for any clarifications .
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh

Follow-up: What does negative HIV DNA PCR test post unprotected sex indicate? 26 minutes later
Dear Dr. Bharatesh,

I had the early detection test done for HIV. Is it correct that the MULTIPLEX PCR test is over 99% reliable 7+ days after exposure? I believe that this is what is used by the laboratory for the early detection test.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours sincerely

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes best test at this stage

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thank you for follow up query.

Yes it is right Multiplex PCR test is 99% reliable and you can allay the fear almost 99%.This is the best test at this point of time to rule out HIV at the earliest stage.And it is good that it has come negative.

Though we are 99% sure of you not being HIV infected because of this 1% we cannot tell 100% sure. so we recommend it to be repeated again after 3 week to be almost 100% sure.and will be 100% sure after around 6 months if the antigen/antibodies tests are negative as there will no possibility of even <1% then.It tells us you have never been exposed and have no antibodies whatsoever against HIV.

All the tests are done to allay all possible fears of HIV.
There is no 100% specific test for HIV.
You can get back to me for any clarifications else please close the discussion and rate.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh

Follow-up: What does negative HIV DNA PCR test post unprotected sex indicate? 39 minutes later
Dear Dr Bharatesh,

Thank you for your further reply.

When the Multiplex test has been negative have you known any case when a subsequent test result has been different?

I look forward to your reply.

Yours sincerely

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thank you for follow up query.
I have not seen cases which have initial negative PCR result turning positive in cases who have undergone PCR initially.
Usually if done after the right time( after 10 days) and properly there is no possibility of HIV becoming positive.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh

Follow-up: What does negative HIV DNA PCR test post unprotected sex indicate? 18 hours later
Dear Dr Bharatesh,

Thank you for your further reply.

I have a slight sore throat but no other symptoms.

Do you think that is any cause for concern?

Kind regards

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thank you for follow up query.
Sore throats are common due to viral or bacterial infection. It can be due to weather or food water changes and spreads from others easily.It takes its own course. You can gargle warm saline, drink hot water and soups, take some antihistamine based cough syrups if with cough, antipyretics if needed.
You need not bother about its relation with HIV.
So relax.
You can get back to me for any clarification else please close the discussion and rate.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh