What does negative DNA PCR test post unprotected sex indicate?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi Doctor,

I did unprotected sex as the days passes i am experiencing symptoms like Sore throat,sick ,mouth ulscar . where i meet a HIV specialist after 40 days he asked me to take DNA PCR test . where the result is negative and he asked me to take ELISA test after 90 days.
SO i want to know how accurate is DNA PCR Test is and what is chance of getting HIV positive after 3+ months even i got negative in DNA PCR as i am experincing sick,sore throat and mouth ulscar.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Antibody test rule out both HIV 1&2 BY 12 weeks.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome to HCM.

HIV PCR DNA test 28 days after the high risk activity is very much confirmatory and conclusive. You had the test after 40 days. So you need not have any doubt the test. The possibility of becoming HIV positive after 90 days is unlikely and not to worry. But this test would rule out the possibility of HIV1 infection only which is the commonest HIV infection all over the world except XXXXXXX There is a less than 1% possibility of HIV 2 infection is there which has to be ruled out with HIV antibody test which can eliminate the possibility of both HIV 1&2, 12 weeks after the high risk activity.
Regarding your symptoms of sore throat,mouth ulcer, it is a very common illness that anybody can have with ordinary bacterial or viral infection,not necessarily symptoms of early HIV infection.Nothing to worry.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 12 hours later
Can You please help me what are the different types of STD's that causes the symptoms like Mouth Ulcer,Sore throat ,Cough,illness, fever,tired XXXXXXX

Please let me know what is the chance of getting Positive HIV result in Antibody test even i got Negative HIV result in DNA PCR at 40 day.

I am expericing Mouth Ulcer,Sore throat ,Cough,illness, fever,tired XXXXXXX I am so scared of HIV in antibody test after 12+weeks. so please tell me will it lead to HIV .
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sore throat,fever can be treated with antibiotics.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
There is nothing to get panicky. Be calm.
Already HIV 1 infection had been ruled out by the HIV PCR test. Rarest possibility of HIV 2 is also not at all common in XXXXXXX
Mouth ulcer, sore throat, cough, fever and tiredness are more common to anybody without STD and HIV.
If you consult an experienced Physician, he/she will cure your problem within few days with appropriate antibiotics.
The antibody test after 12 weeks will relieve totally from all your stress.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 20 hours later

I am expericning sore throat , mouth ulcer sick after unprotected sex. so i am so scared even after i got negative in DNA PCR is negative after 40days will there be chance of HIV positive in antibody test after 3+ months. Does those symptoms reflect HIV
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are HIV free almost 99% as per negative PCR

Detailed Answer:
Welcome once again.

Throat infection is quite common for anybody due to the close intimacy and kissing during sex act, as an air born infection, even in case of protected sex or in between a married couple.
By the presence of sore throat and fever alone no body can be labeled as HIV infected individual. Only with the Blood result alone, we can say whether the individual is affected with HIV or not.
As far as in your case, HIV 1 infection was already ruled out by the negative PCR test after 40 days. That is you are 99% HIV free.
Otherwise antibody test after 12 weeks, 99% unlikely to be positive for HIV.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 15 days later
Hi Doctor,

I have taken all STD test on 2 week after i did high risk activity and DNA PCR HIV test on 2 week and 40th day.

Doctor told that there is no sexually transmitted disease till know, and by HIV DNA PCR test result after 40 days is Negative.

I am Experiencing Mouth ulscar, sorethroat, Headache,joint pains and feeling serious tiredness .

i want to know will these lead to any other STD. Doctor asked me to take all the STD Tests after 3+ months again.

What is the chance of HIV positive and any other STD . Will all STD can cure. please help me out i am so scared of HIV or any other STD.

Please help me out.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Testing periods vary with different STDs.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

HIV antibody test (ELISA or Rapid) can rule out both HIV 1 (Already ruled out by DNA PCR) and HIV 2 by 12 weeks after High risk activity (Window period).
Tests for STDs: STDs are more than 30 in numbers. Tests are not done for all STDs. Many were tested only after symptoms. Some diagnosed with clinical examination alone (Genital warts). Only for a handful of diseases, tests are done routinely (Hepatitis and Syphilis). Gonorrhea can be diagnosed with investigations within a week whereas Chlamydia can be diagnosed within 4 weeks whereas Syphilis and Hepatitis may take 4-6 weeks to be ruled out.
Consult your physician for your sore throat and mouth ulcer and joint pain.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 9 days later
Hi Doctor,

I already told you that i have taken DNA PCR on 40 th day i went negative result.

You asked me to take Antibody test after 3 months. i have taken the test exactly the next day of 3+ months after high risk activity, Even the result went Negative.

So can i feel i am 100% HIV Free.

But i am experiencing Mouth ulscar and mild sickness. Do i need take the Antibody Test after 6month of risk activity again.

please do the needful.
Brief Answer:
HIV 1 &2 free. No further test needed.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

You are absolutely free from HIV. No further test is necessary.
Your symptoms are not related to HIV. Mouth ulcer may be due to various other reasons like vitamin deficiency, aphthous ulcer etc. Consult your physician for the same. Not to worry about HIV hereafter. You will be alright.
DR S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 58 minutes later
Doctor,

Some of them written need to take test after 6 months As i am planning to get married on Next year XXXXXXX . So do i need to take the test after 3months agaian.

Do u feel iam 100% free from HIV.

Please do the needful
Brief Answer:
Delay window period after 12 week with immunosuppr

Detailed Answer:
Welcome once again.

Usually Antibodies started appearing by 6-8 weeks on wards. In some individuals it may get delayed up to 3 months not more than that. Only individuals having some immune problem or those who are on immuno-suppressive drugs like steroids, anti cancer drugs and drugs taken by organ recipients can have an extraordinary delay in antibody production up to six months and not in a normal individual.So you can be quite confident that you are HIV free.
DR S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 18 hours later
Doctor,

I got these ulscars and sickness and repeated cough after high risk acitivity.

Are these symptoms reflect TB.

There is no need of any more consultantion for SEX specialist right.

which docotr i need to consult please advise me.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No need to consult a sexual disease specialist.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome once again.

Repeated cough alone is not indicating Tuberculosis.
Cough may occur due to a number of reasons as that of a mouth ulcer.
You need not meet any sexual disease specialists any more. You can meet a General Medicine Physician MD. Doctor. He will guide you better. Under his guidance, if he refers you to any other specialists, then you can have a consultation with that specialist also.
Get well soon.
DR S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju