What does my widal test report indicate?

Dr. Roopa Hiremath

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Infections
Question: widal examination- MP- P.VIVAX SEEN
STYPHI 'O' AND S TYPHI 'H' 1/20,1/40,1/80,1/160 .S PARA TYPHI 'A' (H) , S PARATYPHI 'B'(H) 1/20,1/40 .KINDLY INFORM ME WHAT IS THE DISEASE AND MEDICATION.
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Positive for malaria and typhoid

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to health care magic.

I have gone through your reports attached with your query and based on that you are positive for malaria by Plasmodium vivax and also for typhoid fever.

I suggest you get in touch with your GP and get a prescription for a quinolone antibiotic or third generation cephalosporin for 7-10 days.

You can take over the counter painkillers which will also help reduce the fever.

Diet should include liquids or easily digestible carbohydrate-rich diet.

Vegetable soup and fruit juice is useful.

For vivax malaria, you should get a prescription for Tab Chloroquine for two days and Tab Primaquine for two weeks.

Please discuss the above mentioned treatment options with your treating doctor and decide the best option.

Bed rest for a week is recommended.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thanks.