What does my urine volume flow test report indicate?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Sun, 12 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: was gathering answers to doctors questions..reason for my late response....1 my prostate size is 75. will have volume flow number tomorrow..when i did the volume flow test I was told it was outstanding, and I completely emptied my bladder...have a SHIM score of 25, and an AUA score of 5. But was never told what thes letters represented...My urine flow is normal. I am currently taking 5mg of Finasteride once a day..Will look forward to your comments..
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Read detail answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .Based on the facts that you have posted It seems that you have been diagnosed to have Enlarged Prostate with size of 80 gms and currently on Fenasteride 5 mg daily .

I would explain about the word SHIM the long form of this word is " Sexual Health Inventory for Men" which indicates sexual function of a man .Normal range for SHIM is 1-25 .SHIM score of 25 suggests very good sexual function of an individual

As regards AUA score it is a (American Urological Association ) score and internationally accepted toll to decide the quality of life of a patient who has Enlarged Prostate There is a set of questionnaire that has to be answered by patient to calculate the total score of his symptoms due enlarged prostate and total sum of the symptoms what is called as AUO score is a tool to decide the quality of life and modality of treatment .

The your AUA score is 5 It is a moderate score hence your problem of enlarged prostate can be treated with medicines .like Fenasteride or Dutasteride once daily .

As regards your question about the surgery .I would state that since your score is 5 you do not need surgery at present .However the size of the prostate can not be reduced by taking medications .Medications do help to slow down the further increase in size of prostate and not to reduce the existing size of prostate . .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.