What does my urine test report indicate?

General Surgeon
Question
Hi. Good Morning! I got my urine test result and it says color: yellow, appearance: cloudy, reaction: acidic, specific gravity:1.015, albumin: negative, glucose: negative, pus cells: 4-6hpf, red blood cells: NIL, crystals: NIL & bacteria: +. Please let me know if this is normal for women. Thanks.
Posted Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
its not normal report for women

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic .

I read your query and understand your concern .

In your reports abnormal findings are presence of pus cells, bacteria and cloudy appearance. Rest all findings are within normal limits.

These 3 positive findings suggest you may be suffering from urinary tract infection(UTI). You should go for Urine Culture and sensitivity test to know the specific type of bacteria and the drugs it is sensitive to.

I would suggest you to consult your doctor and get treated as the drugs for UTI are prescription drugs.

Hope I have answered your query . If any further queries are there I would love to help.

Dr.Deepika Patil

Follow-up: What does my urine test report indicate? 38 minutes later
Thanks for your reply Doc. I honestly dont experience pain when urinating or burning sensation when urinating. One of my friends that is a Doctor said 4-6hpf pus cells for women is normal and 0-2 for men. I have also read that bacteria in the urine is normal. Please enlighten me.

Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
i don't agree

Detailed Answer:

Cloudy urine and presence of bacteria are not normal in urine.

Pus cells 0-2/hpf in males and 3-4/hpf in females is acceptable, but not 4-6/hpf as is your case.

In my opinion, though you are asymptomatic, but still you need to get this treated, as this is mild UTI, as per me. And as advised earlier, get a urine culture and sensitivity done and start on antibiotics like nitrofurantoin at present, and change later according to culture and sensitivity report.

But for the prescription, you need to see a local doctor.

Dr. Deepika Patil

Follow-up: What does my urine test report indicate? 49 minutes later
Thank you for your helpful answer Doc. May I ask what are the causes of UTI in women?

Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
see below answer

Detailed Answer:

Following are causes of UTI at your age
-active sexual life is most common cause and is due to short length of urethra and its close proximity to vagina and anus.
-decreased intake of oral fluids or loss of fluid like in severe diarrhoea/vomiting/sweating
-intake of oral contraceptive pills
-intrauterine contraceptive devices
-vaginal infection
-heavy use of antibiotics for other infections in body

Hope I have answered your query . If no further queries are there you may close the discussion and rate the response.

Dr.Deepika Patil

Follow-up: What does my urine test report indicate? 1 hour later
Is kidney and bladder stones also causes of it?

Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
see below answer

Detailed Answer:

Usually UTI cause kidney or bladder or both stones . Less chances are stones causing UTI. In UTI bacteria act as nidus and cause deposition and stone formation. UTI also changes pH of urine.

Since you didn't mention about abdominal pain so I assumed you don't have it so I didn't mention about urinary tract stones as cause . To suspect urinary tract stones usually there will be abdominal pain with or without radiation to pubis.

Hope I have answered your query .

Dr.Deepika Patil