What does my urinalysis report indicate?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I received a urinalysis and my occult blood was 3+ and my rbc was >30. Ph was at the high end of the normal range. Everything else was in normal ranges including the wbc. What might that mean? I have some slight lower back pain and some blood in urine that seems more consistent when I don't drink a lot of water or if I drink alcohol. Urine did have what appeared to be dried blood/blood vessels in it for 48 hours after drinking alcohol but hasn't happened again for last two days.
I was recently on topomax and phentermine for weight loss but have been off for months and wondered if it could have had an influence on my prostate. I am 6ft and 230lbs.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See below!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this abnormal urine reading. This mainly indicates the presence of red blood cells. This e entire report is not suggestive of a possible infection. The next common causes of red cells in urine are kidney stones, bladder and kidney cancers, prostate problems, helminthiasis, etc. Your age makes prostate causes very unlikely. The minimal levels of red blood cells make cancers, especially bladder cancer, very unlikely as they often present with significant blood in urine that ay be visible to the naked eye.

The last and most likely possibility is a renal stone. This is what I will suggest that your doctors consider and probe further while trying to also eliminate the other possible causes. Blood examinations and imaging studies should be able to shed ore light on what the exact origin and cause of this may be. In some rare cases, there may be no real organic problem and all would resolve spontaneously and no abnormality would be found on testing.

In all, I am leaning more towards a renal calculi. Please, get investigated for this as a possible cause.

I hope this helps. I wish you well and thank you so much for trusting us with your health query. Feel free to ask for more information and clarification if need be.