What does my ultrasound scan test report indicate?

Posted on Wed, 12 Oct 2016 in Women's Health
Question: MY daughter had a pelvic sonogram but we weren't sure if they could see the cervix. Can you see if she has a cervix on these reports? She is going for an mri to determine if she has complete vaginal agenisis and how bad it is, but we are hoping to know if she has a cervix because that would be good news. ONline most cases of vaginal agenesis seem to present with no uterus and hers appears normal.
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Explanation is given below.....

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear and thanks for your query.
I've reviewed the reports.

From ultrasound scan examination doctor was't assured that was or not the lower part of uterus or cervix even thought he /she have seen a small free fluid .

Small free fluid means that cervix is there .

But you should know that trans- abdominal ultrasound examination is not specific to show cervix .

Hence she need to do a MRI to determine 100% cervix.

As you may have read cervical agenesis is very rare and have a normal, functional vagina.

Don't worry while her uterus and ovary are normal.

Does she have cyclic abdominal pain?
This question tell me if she have or not hematocolpos (hematocolpos- is a medical condition in which the vagina fills with menstrual blood. It is often caused by the combination of menstruation with an imperforated hymen or cervical agenesis or stenosis)

All the best

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine