What does my ultrasound scan test report indicate?

Dr. S Patra

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello Doctor,
I’m 6 weeks 4 days pregnant (Age - 29 yrs. First time pregnant after 2 yrs. of unexplained infertility – had laparoscopy + hysteroscopy in XXXXXXX 2016). Yesterday I had my first ultrasound scan (report is attached). My doc said by now we should able to here heartbeat and he’s concerned about it. But there is no heartbeat. Also I’ve 11mm fibroid in anterior wall of uterus. I’ve below questions …
1.     Does this fibroid grow and affect my baby’s growth?
2.     Is it normal to have no heartbeat at this stage?
3.     OR it’s indication of something like miscarriage... etc.
I’m taking below medicines too… My HCG levels on 2 Apr 2016: 18950 and on 5th April: 39930
•     Elefol (1-0-0)
•     Duphaston 10 (1-0-1)
•     Pretain 200 (1-0-1)
•     Ecosprin 75 (0-1-0)
I’m bit worried!!! Is everything is in good condition?
Thanks in advance!
Answered by Dr. S Patra 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do TVS scan after 1 week to confirm healthy pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) I have seen your attached report. It shows small (11 mm) sub-serosal fibroid, which DOESN'T affect fetal growth. It is mostly benign tumor.

2) As you had undergone treatment of unexplained infertility, then we can await another 1 week and check fetal viability. Late conception should be ruled out.

Normally, fetal pole and yolk sac should be visible through Trans Abdominal Scan (TAS) around 6-7 weeks and fetal heart beat is found around 7-8 weeks.

Rising pattern of beta-HCG is quite OK or Normal. I suggest you to undergo one Trans Vaginal Ultrasound scan (TVS) after 1 week to confirm viability. TVS scan gives more detailed and early picture than TAS.

3) There is some possibility of missed miscarriage or blighted ovum if repeat scan DOESN'T confirm healthy pregnancy. Review with report.

Hope, it helps for your information. Wish your good health and take care.

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak