• question-icon

What does my ultrasound scan test report indicate?

Posted on Tue, 5 Apr 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Hi Doctor,
I am 33 weeks pregnant now, i have went for routine visit and had an ultrasound done.
AFI is 10, doctor said that amnitic fludi level is low and suggested to use L-Arginine & Proanthocyanidin Granules daily morning and evening for 15 days.
1. Is AFI - 10 low?
2. And is it really suggestible to use this medicine?
3. And in the blood test the TC value came as 12.000cell/cumn, again my doc said its high and gave an antibiotic for 10 days - cefixime dispersible tablet. Is this needed?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take it as advised

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mam, thanks for trusting health care magic.
AFI is on lower side but not low per se as lower limit is 8 cm so to help maintaining it at this level at least you should take arginine as advised.
It is better to take it because AFI decreases in all pregnancies after 34 weeks and keeps on decreasin only till delivery.
As regards TLC counts if us also on higher side as normally it is below 11,000 and decreases further in pregnancy so higher values need evaluation.
You should take cefixime as advised but get a urine microscopy and culture prior to that and then start the antibiotic.
Dr Manisha
Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN